Saturday, February 15, 2014

I Only Debate Those I Trust

I used to share a lot about differing political, theological, and moral views. Lately, my writings have focused more on the poetic, the pastoral, the mystical experience of the radical grace of God, and far less on the academic. And there's a few reasons for that: as much as I love an intelligent discussion between people who disagree, in the world of Christianity, there are many who feel that it is their responsibility to call out heresy and to continue calling it out ad nauseum until everyone else in the discussion wishes they would be quiet and actually engage in the arguments being presented.

I find such activities to be a waste of my time. I discuss these big, deep, complex ideas with people I trust and respect. Those who want to put me through their own version of the Inquisition don't have that privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment